Carry-On Mistakes

More and more, I try to avoid checking luggage, but in any case, we are carrying on baggage. Here are some of the mistakes that Ashley and I have learned from when it comes to carry-on luggage:
  • Mistake #1: Actually Carrying-On...you need to Roll-On.

Ashley is not a massage therapist, and my back gets wrecked from just sitting in the airplane for hours, so why torture it more by lugging around a shoulder bag or backpack around the airport? If you really feel the need to carry a purse, you can attach it to your rolling bag. BE CAREFUL...I had to check the TSA guidelines for carry-on roller bags before buying one.

The TSA is always up to something new. We have made the mistake of buy 4oz. containers for our shampoo, lotion, etc. only to get to the airport and find out the limit is 3oz. I also neglected putting my items in the regulation-size plastic baggy...what a travel fopah.
  • Mistake #3: Thinking Your Luggage will be at your Destination.

You don't want to be "that" person who is stuck in 2-day old underwear because your luggage didn't show up. Always pack a freezer bag in your carry-on that contains some clean items: 1 pair of underwear, 1 pair of socks, and 1 shirt/top. I also pack a pair of lightweight pajama pants so that I'm not stuck sleeping in jeans.

  • Mistake #4: Forgetting to pack a Fleece

I don't know why every airplane is air-conditioned to 20-degrees below zero, but apparently airlines think we will enjoy our ride if hypothermia is induced. Sweatshirts are bulky and blankets take up a bunch a room.

  • Mistake #5: Packing All of Your Toiletries.

Think about where you are staying. Hotels provide shampoo, conditioner, and a number of toiletries by request. I pack those toiletries that are specific to me: like I need a specific brand of deoderant, dermatologist-recommended lotion, Sensodyne toothpaste, and, of course, my toothbrush.

No comments: