Surviving an Overseas Flight


I am not a great flyer. I don't enjoy sitting in an airplane. I have a tendency to get airsick.
So, if anyone knows how to survive...it's me. Truly, Ashley has taught me how to travel better. Here are our tricks and tips on how to survive the long overseas flight:
  • Drink water every chance you get. Every time you're in the airport grabbing a meal or being offered a drink in the airplane, ASK FOR WATER in addition to whatever else you are drinking. It is common for overseas travelers to get severly dehydrated, so drink lots and lots of water.
  • Pack your carry-on survival kit. This includes clothing items to change into once the airplane has reached a cruising altitude (i.e. pajama pants, compression socks, a fleece). And don't forget to have a freezer bag with the clothing items you will want as soon as you land (i.e. clean underwear, clean socks, clean shirt) so that you don't feel like you are wearing the airplane.
  • Sleep doesn't just happen. First, look at what time of day you are landing and plan your sleep on the airplane so that you can, as best as you can, adjust to the new time zone. Pack a sandwich bag in your carry-on that has: earplugs, headphones, a sleep mask. Ashley and I also include a sleep aid in that kit, such as Tylenol PM or Ambien--Check with your doctor before just taking either.
  • IBuprofen is my lifesaver. It serves three purposes: 1) IBuprofen is an anti-inflammatory and helps keep the swelling in my feet down, 2) IBuprofen is a blood-thinner and helps prevent clots from forming while sitting for an extended period of time, and 3) IBuprofen helps relieve the pain in my neck and back from sitting in the plane. **Do not take IBuprofen with an empty or upset stomach and ask your doctor before taking any medication.
  • Keep the blood moving. Traveling is hard on the body. I can be sore all over my body for a couple days after landing. It is less likely that you will be sore if you keep the blood moving by periodically getting up and walking around the plane and doing plane exercises in your seat.
  • Consider packing some snacks like trail mix, a Snickers bar, or granola bars. If you, like me, get nauseated at the smell of airplane food, snacks are necessary. Like I said, my tummy gets uneasy, so I bring a sleeve of Saltine crackers. They help to settle my stomach and are a great snack to tie me over.

No comments: